Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN) Godwin Emefiele has been re-appointed for another five years in office.
This is the first time since 1999 that anyone will serve for a second term.
Senate President Bukola Saraki read President Muhammadu Buhari’s letter on Thursday, May 9, 2019.
He was screened on Wednesday and his confirmation came on Thursday, May 16, 2019.
Here are 13 things you probably did not know about Godwin Emefiele.
1. He was born on August 4, 1961, in Lagos.
2. His hometown is Ika South, Delta state.
3. He obtained his primary education at schools in Victoria Island and Igbosere.
4. He graduated in 1973. In 1978, he received a WASC certificate in a secondary school in Ikeja.
5. He studied at the University of Nigeria and obtained a bachelor’s degree in Banking and Finance in 1984.
6. In the fall of 1986, he received an MBA degree as the best graduate in Finance.
7. He also studied economics at Oxford University where he received honorary qualifications, conducted studies connected with the art of negotiations, different strategies, and theory of leadership.
8. He studied at Stanford, Harvard, the University of Pennsylvania and the business school of Wharton.
9. He was engaged in the corporate services of the bank as Chief Executive officer. He also had to control the finances, the treasury, and strategic planning at Zenith Bank Plc.
10. Emefiele has over eighteen years of banking experience.
11. He served as a director at Zenith Bank Plc and Zenith Bank (Gambia) Limited.
12. Before commencing his banking career, he lectured Finance and Insurance at the University of Nigeria Nsukka, and the University of Port Harcourt, respectively.
13. Emefiele serves as Director of ACCION Microfinance Bank Limited.